How To Purchase Flood Insurance In Oregon

All flood insurance is purchased through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) which is run by the U.S. government and is part of FEMA. You can also purchase flood insurance from companies that participate in the NFIP. Companies that participate in the NFIP for the state of Oregon can be found here:

What Does A Flood Insurance Cover?

The flood insurance policy is separate from your homeowners insurance. It covers damages and cleanup to your personal property and personal belongings as well less structural and mechanical damage to your property. There is a limit that your flood insurance will cover, however, so for expensive art, jewelry or antiques, you may want to purchase a separate policy to cover those items. Flood insurance compensate you for flood damages even if federal disaster aid assistance is not available for you. Most claims are paid within 30 to 60 days.

Do I Need Flood Insurance?

Even if you live in a low or moderate risk area, you may want to consider purchasing flood insurance. Nearly 25 percent of all flood insurance claims come from areas with minimal flood risk. It is also important to understand that the federal disaster assistance how will not compensate you for your losses. Federal disaster assistance only offers wants to help cover flood damages. Flood insurance will compensate you for your losses . Also understand that less than 10 percent of all weather emergencies in the United States are declared a federal disaster.

Who is Eligible for Flood Insurance?

Everyone is eligible for National Flood insurance if your community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program.

Is Flood Insurance Required?

If your building is being backed by federal financial assistance and is in a high risk flood area, yes. Flood insurance is recommended for all buildings.